Bread pudding with cranberries, orange zest and a vanilla cream sauce
- 8 pieces Texas toast or favorite thick-sliced bread
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 6 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Zest of 2 medium oranges
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or favorite orange-flavored liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Cut bread into 1×1 inch cubes.
- Spread evenly in baking dish.
- Sprinkle cranberries evenly over bread.
- Set aside.
- Heat 1 cup milk and melted white chocolate in small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until milk and chocolate are combined.
- Whisk eggs, remaining 1 cup milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and orange zest in a small bowl; add to melted chocolate mixture, stirring to combine.
- Pour mixture over bread.
- Let sit 10 minutes, allowing bread to absorb the liquid.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in a water bath until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Whisk egg yolks, vanilla sugar, and cornstarch in medium bowl until fully combined and slightly foamy.
- Set aside.
- Heat milk and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until bubbly around the edges.
- Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until thick and bubbly for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in Grand Marnier.
- Set aside until ready.
- Cut bread pudding into squares and drizzle with warm vanilla sauce.