These EASY lasagna rolls are stuffed with zucchini, ricotta and Parmesan, then topped with marinara and mozzarella cheese – delicious, kid friendly and perfect if you want to feed a crowd. You can make them a day ahead and refrigerate, or if you like to cook for the month, these are also freezer-friendly. Double it up, or bring an extra to a friend in need, they’ll thank you! (BTW, they’re vegetarian also, perfect for Meatless Mondays!)
By now I’m sure you figured out I LOVE zucchini! I just shared a roundup of 35 Skinny Zucchini Recipes, so here’s number 36! I’ve been craving lasagna rolls lately which I love making instead of traditional lasagna, they are so much easier to make and they’re great for portion control. My girlfriend brought me zucchini from her garden so I thought I’d try out this zucchini version instead of my usual spinach filling. These turned out SO good, and now I have yet another way to eat zucchini.
To freeze, you can choose to individually freeze them in ziplock bags or freeze them as a finished dish ready for the oven. You can also freeze anything you’ve baked that you can’t finish. Click here for more details on how to freeze lasagna rolls.
I served these with sauteed summer julienned vegetables on the side (I used my spiralizer) and it was the perfect meal!
THREE CHEESE ZUCCHINI STUFFED LASAGNA ROLLS
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked (use brown rice lasagna noodles for gluten free)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium zucchini (7 oz each), grated and squeezed dry
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese (Recommend: Polly-o)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 3/4 cups Marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, sauté garlic and olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute; add zucchini, salt and pepper to taste and cook about 4-5 minutes, until soft.
- In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Lay out the lasagna noodles on a clean work surface. Make sure noodles are dry.
- Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over the noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Ladle the remaining sauce over the lasagna rolls and top each one with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese.
- Put foil over baking dish and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the inside is heated through and the cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil if desired and eat hot.